May 27, 1813 — Americans captured Fort George in Canada today. Situated on the west side of the Niagara River in the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, it proved to be a highly strategic move in War of 1812.
Led by Colonel Winfield Scott, the fort’s defenders were a force of about 1000, all ranks of the 8th and 49th Regiments of Foot, the Royal Newfoundland Fencibles and the Glengarry Light Infantry, along with about 300 militia.
The British then abandoned the Fort, which the US used as a base as soldiers invaded Upper Canada. The win was short lived, however, for the fort was recaptured by the British in seven months later in December, 1813.
After the war, the fort was partially rebuilt, and by the 1820s it was falling into ruins. It was finally abandoned in favour of a more strategic installation.
Words of Wisdom
The British built the fort between 1796 and 1799 as a replacement for Fort Niagara (directly across the river), which they were forced to evacuate in accordance with the terms of Jay’s Treaty. The new post also served as the headquarters of the Right Division of the British army under General Sir Isaac Brock during the War of 1812 and of the British Indian Department in Upper Canada.