January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017
931 Thomas Jefferson Parkway, Charlottesville, VA 22902 • Directions.
When: Daily, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm
Details: Have you always wanted to go upstairs at Monticello? This exclusive pass takes you behind the scenes: through the first floor of Monticello; to bedrooms once occupied by members of the Jefferson family on the second floor; to the iconic Dome Room on the third floor; and to the new, interactive “Crossroads” exhibition under the house. You’ll see unique interior architectural features, learn about ongoing historic restoration efforts, and gain insight into what one of Jefferson’s granddaughters called “the bustle and hurry” of life at Monticello.
- ADULTS, $16
- CHILDREN 12—18 (May 25 – Sep. 1), $8
- CHILDREN 5—11 (Year round under 5), free
INCLUDED IN THE BEHIND THE SCENES DAY PASS:
- Multi-floor Tour of the House
- Guided Slavery at Monticello Tours (April-October and weekends in February)
- Guided Gardens and Grounds Tours (April-October)
- Summertime Archaeology Walks to Sites 6 and 8 (Monday-Friday, June 4-July 12)
STATE OF THE ART VISITOR CENTER
- Free Parking
- 4 Exhibitions
- 15-minute film Thomas Jefferson’s World
- Griffin Discovery Room
- Monticello Museum Shop
- Shopping and café
- Crossroads exhibition in lower level of the main house
- Seasonal Mountaintop Activity Center
- African American Graveyard
- Scheduling a Behind the Scenes Tour
Tickets for these tours typically sell out in advance. To make your reservation online, please click on the tickets icon above.
Please plan to arrive at Monticello at least 30 minutes before the time of your reservation.
TOUR AT A GLANCE
- Around 1.5 hours
- Not recommended for children under age 6
- Not handicap-accessible
- Behind the Scenes Tour and Day Pass
Please arrive at Monticello at least 30 minutes before your tour so you have time to park, pick up your ticket(s), and ride the shuttle bus to the mountaintop. The time of your reservation is when you should be at the East Walk, the area directly in front of Monticello, where House Tour groups form. You will be admitted to the house according to the time printed on your ticket. With rare exceptions, you can expect your Tour to begin within 10 minutes.
Please note that if you are late for your reserved timeslot, you will be assigned to the next available Tour, as space allows; some days this could mean a significant wait, or if all timeslots are filled, the issuance of a Grounds ticket only (no House Tour). Reservations and tickets are valid only on the date specified. There are no refunds unless the Tour is canceled by the Thomas Jefferson Foundation.
Bags and Backpacks. None exceeding 11 x 15 x 6 inches are allowed beyond the Shuttle Station. In the House. Eating, drinking, chewing gum and using tobacco products are prohibited. Cell phones and other electronic devices must be turned off. Still photography, filming, and video recording are prohibited. Visitors are urged not to touch or lean on walls or furnishings.
On the Grounds. The West Lawn is open to visitors; otherwise visitors are asked to remain on designated paths and trails. Smoking is not permitted near the house or its dependencies and terraces. Photography: Still photography, filming and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds of Monticello. No photography of any kind is allowed inside the house.
- Pets are allowed on the grounds if leashed. With the exception of certified service dogs, pets are not allowed in any buildings or on the shuttle buses. Visitors who bring pets are required to clean up after them. NOTE: Do not bring pets to Monticello on September 7, 2013, the day of the Heritage Harvest Festival unless they are certified service animals.
- Monticello is a smoke-free site. Visiting with Kids. Families with toddlers are encouraged to use small strollers when touring the house. Families with active or restless young children may be asked to take turns touring the house, as a courtesy to other visitors.